Reviews

A forum for questions and guidance, on stuff that we've somehow missed in all the other forums (or fora, if you're from ancient rome)
GeoffRichards

Reviews

Post by GeoffRichards »

Dear Comics,

Issue 1 of my first comic gets pretty good reviews, when I can actually get a review! For issue 2, I've struggled to get reviews at all.

So, I have two questions.

1. Would be it be in the scope of the forum to have a master list of indie friendly review sites.
2. Does anyone feel like they have good practice nailed, in a way that helps them to get reviews.

Cheers,

Geoff
DanWhitehead

Re: Reviews

Post by DanWhitehead »

The only vaguely reliable method is to be friendly with the sites relevant to your work, and keep on their radar. Getting anything reviewed these days - comic or otherwise - is a gamble though because we're living in the era of Peak Content. It's literally impossible for sites to cover everything, and since most comics sites are run by individuals for the love of it, they have even less time/bandwidth. For what it's worth, I've never found reviews particularly helpful in terms of direct sales but they are good for getting pull quotes that can make marketing easier.
GeoffRichards

Post by GeoffRichards »

Cheers Dan.

Yeah, I’ve found them to be useful for pull quotes. I totally get that these folk are super busy and just doing it for the love, so I work on a policy of sending them the comic and leaving them with it.

As for the direct sales... yeah, I don’t think I noticed any change on kickstarter numbers for issue 1 tbh. I’m just trying to make sure I get as many eyes on it as possible I guess. Keep pushing the social media treadmill!
DanWhitehead

Post by DanWhitehead »

One possibly useful alternative is to get a quote from other professionals. I know that, as a reader, I tend not to take much attention of glowing quotes from Random Comics Blog, but will happily back or buy a comic that has been endorsed by a creator whose work I like.
SamRoads

Post by SamRoads »

I agree. Approach the creator carefully and ask if they'd spend a moment having a look at your comic. If they're too busy, walk away (metaphorically).

If they have a look, ask them what they thought.

If it's not a strong of Klingon curse words, then ask if they'd mind if you quoted them on that. Sometimes they will prefer to write something later, if they know you're planning on quoting them.
Chiropterarex

Post by Chiropterarex »

I'm always willing to do reviews.

Send a Pdf my way and I'll take a look.

My blog is Judge-Tutor Semple
https://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com
Chiropterarex

Post by Chiropterarex »

Geoff, my review is up.

I've done both issues together, I would have separated them and published one this week and one next week but time constraints meant it made sense for me to combine them.

I have quite a sympathetic Review style, regular readers also know I don't review anything I do not like. There's a little constructive criticism in my review, I'm never negative - I hate negative Reviews and I do this for fun after all.

I really enjoyed these. Instantly thought the synopsis sounded like something I'd enjoy. Working on a long term project of my own set earlier in Prehistory but set in our own world, looking at earlier Hominids.

I'll keep an eye out for issue three on Kickstarter! And I'll share that when it is up.

https://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/ ... ht-review/
GeoffRichards

Post by GeoffRichards »

Thanks for taking the time to do that, it’s much appreciated.

Really pleased you enjoyed them. As you mention in the review, we’re a mixed bunch of experience. Herd was my first attempt at writing comics and (I think) Peter’s first fully drawn issue. Which is one of the reasons I made sure we got some experience onboard. Getting Rob in to do the lettering/design work is one of the best decisions I made.

Cheers,

Geoff
Chiropterarex

Post by Chiropterarex »

Yeah Rob's lettering does wonders. But Peter clearly gave space in the wordier panels.

I didn't want to say too much about the gender roles in the Sapiens camp asI was keeping it Spoiler Light. That bit is really good and works great after learning the Vampyrus laws about hunting regarding male and female targets.